22 May 2010

It's OK for guys to wear pink

If it has cool things on it, like Hello Kitty, or a Kalashnikov. Or both!

12 May 2010

It's aliiive!

"We can do it. We have the technology. We can build it better than it was before..."

Well there it is. Aside from polishing the engine, it's DONE! Everything we've done:
  • De-rusted and painted frame
  • De-rusted and painted bracketry (airbox, battery tray, taillight assembly)
  • Added blanking plate to close up ugly taillight opening
  • Replaced shocks and forks
  • Painted and modified CB100 side covers to fit this CL100
  • De-rusted and painted tank
  • Painted exhaust and polished heat shield
  • De-rusted and polished fenders and chain guard
  • Recovered seat
  • Cleaned the carb
  • Lubed and adjusted all operating cables
  • Replaced front tire
  • Added turn signals, including XOR relays for front running lights and rear triple brake lights.
  • Added 7.5V Zener diode to help prevent overcharging the battery
  • Replaced rubber centerstand stop to keep the chain (!) from hitting it
  • Helicoiled stripped mirror mount and added mirrors
  • Added a proper Honda tool kit to hidden compartment
I took it for a little spin to cure the paint we put on the exhaust, and it's such a ton of fun to ride! I think Lemontree's going to love it! :)


video

08 May 2010

Bike update

Today was Bike Day. In the last week the new fork stanchion pipes came from Thailand and I finished the relay modules mentioned in an earlier post so we were able to make a lot of progress.

If you recall, XOR logic can be built with relays thus:
And here we have the real thing:

You'll see the 'X' shaped cross-connects between relays here, just like in the diagram:
First attempts at soldering the relays "dead bug style", i.e., with the relay placed upside down like a dead bug with it's legs in the air and soldering directly to the pins met with failure. Second attempts with my soldering pencil also met with failure because the teeny little holes were too close together and the solder balls of adjacent connections touched and shorted things. A trip to Rat Shack for a fine soldering iron tip and some teeny .022" solder made soldering a real joy as the solder went right where I wanted it and flowed like water instead of peanut butter. Ok, I'll win no awards for aesthetics but the proof is in the results, and the modules work.
You'll see above I had to make two connections to the Common legs of the center relay, so I just used a long lead and bent it over and soldered it twice on the backside.

Finally, the modules got a little protection in the form of hot glue and electrical tape. With the front end re-assembled, we reinstalled the main wiring harness and added in my modules. Some consternation was experienced when the rear turn/brake lights inexplicably malfunctioned. We checked, checked again, and rechecked our wiring and it was all correct. Based on the pattern of the light display, I suspected a faulty brake/taillight bulb, so I broke out the multimeter and started testing. Bulb was fine but the socket had some very strange results -- zero volts between either bulb contact and ground, but 5.5V between the two contacts! That's not supposed to happen. Finally we pulled the lens off and determined that the ground wire for the bulb holder had fallen off, resulting in the taillight grounding itself through the brake light and confusing the heck out of my relay module and confusing the heck out of us. Ground wire reattached, everything worked as designed. Whew!! I was starting to doubt my electrical engineering and soldering skills for a minute there.

With the day almost spent, we made it look like a real motorcycle again. Lemontree put on the mirrors, tank, and side covers. All that's left now is odds and ends -- clean the carb, adjust the front brake and lube all the cables, polish the engine, and... well, that's about it really.